Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The one where my OCD finally overcame my busy life

I love to organize things. I was that kid who had their school bag packed at least a full week before school started.  There was an episode of the Cosby Show where Rudy had even packed her lunch a full week before school started, a delightful lunch of tuna salad on wheat bread.  I was that kind of kid! 

I've lived a few different places since graduating high school.  I always accumulate too much stuff.  My husband and I bought our house 3 years ago and trust me when I tell you we moved from a shoebox to a mansion. Our rent house (shoebox, 2 bedroom at that!) was TINY and only 500 square feet at best maybe, and that's stretching it.  When we moved everything out of the rent house into our house 3 years ago, I had no clue how we ever fit everything we did into that rent house.  We had things everywhere at our house when we moved in, and it was even hard finding spots for it in our 1650 square foot home.

Our house now is 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom and one large walk in closet which was dubbed an office.  It was a good size and it was the selling point for us at the time of purchasing since I worked from home at the time.  Four bedrooms were out of our price range and I didn't want to take the entire 3rd bedroom as my office.  So we bought the house and the "office" has always been the home for my desktop CPU but it's always housed everything else.  Our kitchen has minimal storage and being the foodie I am, it just doesn't have enough space for all the gadgets I have.  I mean I have a creme brulee torch, a mortar and pestle, a pan for every baking scenario, and a wok for crying out loud.  I have everything else known to man, so it's housed all of my kitchen overflow (read as everything stored in there but our dishes and toaster!)

I keep the door closed and am mortified at how dirty it is, but no one ever sees it.  I didn't have any other place to put my desktop but I rarely used my desktop since I hated going in and seeing the clutter.  It made me sick but I didn't know how to combat it.  Well this past week I purchased a laptop and came to the conclusion I just needed to turn my "office" into a butler's pantry of sort.   My dad scored us a free upright freezer about 2 or 3 months ago and it's been sitting under his carport waiting for us to find a space for it in our home.  I would like to stock up cooked food since my husband works crazy hours and it's super hard to cook for just my daughter and I all week being that I work until 9 at night.  So I decided today was the day I cleaned that office out and made it into the pantry I've dreamed of since forever.

I'm currently sitting on the sofa smiling because  after over 3 years of living in this house--it's DONE! I have to wait until tomorrow to get the freezer and put the big bookcase back in to house our pictures, yearbooks, and mementos on. When my cell phone cooperates, I will post before and after pictures.  For now, I rest assured knowing I organized it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment